Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Well today was a pretty good day. I felt like it was somewhat productive. I've been very convicted about my time management, or should I say lack thereof, lately. Yesterday, I missed my counseling training and didn't realize it until I was on my way to see The Lake House, although in retrospect, I should have probably spent my time finishing my Missions Reading group book and paper for tonight.

Somehow I didn't write down that I had a training session in my dayplanner and I've been on lazy mode since last week when everyone was on holiday or out of town so there was no training or babysitting or nursery to do. I am one who really benefits from keeping a schedule and writing things down (unless I lose my schedule or whatever I write things down in).

Anyhow, today I got up and drove into the city on time to work in the nursery for the women's bible study (note the use of the phrase "on time"). I found a new route into the city towards church (which will be helpful for the next time I inadvertently pass the exit). I then went to turn in some paperwork to DCPS and because it was SOOO hot out, I decided that instead of making the 10 minute walk back to church or I guess the 15/20 minute walk to grab lunch, then 10 minute walk headed back to church to pass the time until Bible Study that I'd just catch the metro back home (it was in between DCPS and church), grab something on the way between the stop and my house and chill at home for a few hours then Metro back into the city. It started storming but cleared up in time for me to walk back to the Metro but when I got into the city it was pouring. It was cool though, that was a blessing.

Tonight's Bible study was SOOOO good and challenging. One of our pastors leads an inductive Bible study through Scripture and we just all gather like family and just dig in to investigate and discuss what God's word is saying. We've been studying the Beatitudes for at least a month now and were on Mtt. 5:6 "blessed are those who hunger and uncovered and discussed about blessed meaning approved by the approver, who is God because all of the blessings are things that can only be given by Him we talked about hunger and thirst being a deep need/desire. In the physical sense not having hunger and thirst met would lead to death so those who strive with that sort of hunger and thirst for righteousness, being justification and a right relationship with God will be filled and satisfied.

I was both encouraged and challenged by that because first of all it's a promise that I can claim, a hope that I have. So often in life, we chase after the wind- career, money, fame, power, possessions, relationships but those things always leave us empty. If I truly seek and desire God, which is what I should do and the only thing that can fill my longings and desires, I WILL be satisfied. I can't fully comprehend what being satisfied in life is, although I try to walk with and please God I often fall short, I'm swayed by human distractions and desires which don't fulfill and eventually end up bringing me once more before His throne seeking forgiveness. But I CAN be satisfied, I CAN be fulfilled if I seek HIm.

Before we left Michael challenged us with some good questions to be contemplating
throughout the week. What are you hungering for? What are you thirsting for? He encouraged us and praye that God would give us godly hunger and strong and healthy hearts and minds to pursue Him, His word, righteousness. It really made me stop and think about how I've been so distracted by trivial things this week when the God and creator of this universe who deserves my whole hearted devotion and attention and is the only one who can satisfy is willing to satisfy me if I simply keep my eyes and attention focused on Him and pursue Him and knowing Him. He invites us into a relationship with Him one that fulfills and satisfies our deepest needs and longings, the Bible says "taste and see that the Lord is good".

Reminds me of two songs, one of which I'll type the lyrics to:
No one, but you Lord, can satisfy the longings of my heart. Nothing I do Lord, can take the place of drawing near to you. Only you can fill my deepest longings. Only you, can breathe in me new life. Only you can fill my soul with laughter. Only you can answer my heart's cry.
Yeah the melody and music to that are beautiful too.

So THAT was Bible study. After Bible study my Missions reading group met. I'm in this group of young women that meets once a month to discuss a new book which we write a 1-3 page paeper to summarize and apply to life and cross culture missions. This month's book Redemption accomplished and applied was kind of heavy. It was very academic and cerebral. Many times I'd find myself thinking, "okay I just got lost about 3 pages ago, I've got to read it again". I'm always blessed to meet, be encouraged, affirmed and get different perspectives on what God has revealed to us through these books. While this book was kind of taxing, reading and discussing it definitely made me thankful for the atonement, it made me think about a lot of things regarding salvation that I never before thought of and left me with the thought that I am now responsible for living a life that is pleasing to God in reponse to what He has revealed to me. Although the book expressed itself in a lofty way I can use the simplicity of the truths in sharing truth with others.

There's a family that's on furlough from the missions field that just got back this week and she sat in the meeting. It was good to get her feedback and hear a little about what God has done and is doing in her life. She was so sweet and humble and invited us to invite her into our lives as a sister in Christ during the time that her family would be here. I look forward to getting to know her and what God will teach me and how He will challenge me through a friendship with her.

Anyhow, I was SOO glad I drove in this morning because our meeting ran a little late but there was no traffic so that wasn't bad. Unfortunately, once again, I took a shortcut and umm......yeah. It ended up not being so short. I got lost, tried to phone 2 friends from church who live in this area for guidance, thought I found my way and ended up having to call a guy from church who lives in the area TWICE! Anywho, adventures never cease!

No comments: