On Friday evening, 3 of us went to do street evangelism. Because it was a small group of 2 girls and a guy we stayed together. I was really encouraged by our time that evening. The first 2 people we ran into were professing believers. The first, was looking for a good church that preaches the word and planned on coming to visit our church today (he showed up too). The 2nd was an older gentleman (he didn't look it but said he probably had T-shirts older than us) who managed a barber shop. He said it was good to see young people out and that it reminded him that we're living in the last days. I'll admit it was nice running into fellow believers. The last guy we talked to was a young college student who was very eager to discuss faith with us. We must have talked for about 1/2 an hour. He was very knowledgeable of Scripture but I was sad to see that he seemed to be caught up in a religion that emphasized historical books over the Bible, we had a good conversation and left hoping to run into him again. My heart was heavy for him and we prayed for him that his zeal for the word and truth would lead him to the realization that the Bible is the only book he needed and a saving knowledge and relationship with the one true God. Back home I talked to Katie's parents, who along with her sisters are in town this weekend, about my experience that night and they were so encouraging.
Yesterday I went to a wedding at my church for the very first time. It was BEEYOUTIFUL! I loved how centered on the Gospel and worshipful it was. I felt kind of bad because I didn't know the couple very well but thankful that they invited all of our church family to celebrate with them.
It hit me again however, how much work a wedding can take. As I looked at the gorgeous and elegant decorations, the lovely dresses - her wedding dress was STUNNING, the delectable cake etc. I thought- wow! There was a lot of planning and thought that had to go into this. Quite a bit of work. And after the wedding the clean up! I never before considered that cleaning up after a wedding is so much work. I'm so glad that our church is helpful in providing good counseling, admonishing couples to focus on preparing for marriage more than the wedding day, and a wedding planner to walk couples through all the details that will be necessary on the wedding day. Many people pitched in after the wedding ceremony to clean the church, put back chairs, pack and wash dishes etc. It's so nice to witness and be a part of the sense of community in helping our brothers and sisters out.
This morning's sermon was really good. Michael focused on God being love. I really came away with a newfound understanding that salvation is TRULY not about me. I've always read scripture that talked about God preparing us as a bride for Christ but I don't think I really grasped it in light of salvation being about God and his love. I was humbled to think that I'm just caught up in the love story of God loving the world and making a way for me to have a relationship through Jesus' loving sacrifice and God the Father working to transform me so that He can present me as a bride to His Son. AMAZING!
I had lunch at Joanna's with her mum and Jovanna and we had some good conversation then I headed home for my 1/2 hour nap before going back for the evening service. We had MAC at some of the members' home and it was breakfast for dinner ( I LOVE breakfast) and get this- I made eggs for everyone. ME. I cooked for a group of people. I made scrambled eggs for maybe about 30 people! I'm so excited. It was fun, there were a few of us in the kitchen, Jim making pancakes, Jeric making bacon, Kyle cooking sausage and I was able to help out-in the kitchen! Too bad I don't have any pictures for proof.
Back at home I had some good conversation with Katie and her older sister Janelle. Janelle hadn't been feeling good for a good deal of the trip and it was good to talk to her. Afterward, she invited me to pray with them. I was so encouraged by the spiritual depth that I've experienced and been encouraged by in my time getting to know Katie and then her family this weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment