Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to visit 2 of my former students. Two of my precious oompaloompas, sisters-one year apart, that I'd taught the past 2 years. After spending time catching up with their Mum, we watched many videos of them from toddler stage to just last year, all of them performing for the camera. As I was leaving the younger one of them gave me a necklace of wooden beads that she'd made.

After hugs and kisses had been exchanged and walked to my car, I realized how much I would probably miss having a regular classroom. Having my very own group of students. My very own room theme, rules and procedures for my room. Seeing a whole group of just-out-of-1st-graders grow and transition to almost-ready-for-3rd-graders. I'll miss the hugs, kisses and waves in the hall when I see them with their new teachers and probably even running to them in the store. I'm thankful for all of the experiences and people I met and students I taught that God has allowed to shape me and prepare me for this new undertaking in my career.

Today I got my small group placement and KA and I (YAY! We're in the same small group!) headed out there together. It's wild because a few weeks ago at Momma Brown's b-day dinner with her small group after once again because of my own goof I was small group-less, I thought, I love this small group I'd love to be a part of it. Little did I know that weeks later, I'd get placed there!

We were to have read the first 2 chapters of "Humility" by C.J. Mahaney and while fairly simple and readable they were thought provoking. I think what was most impressed upon me was how offensive pride is to God. From thinking ourselves above others or situations to being overly taken and absorbed in our accomplishments or feats it's all an attempt of our sinful, selfish selves to take glory from the one true God who desires and deserves it for ourselves. I'm quite sure I haven't viewed pride with the contempt and disdain that God has and need to constantly check myself for any aspects of pride I see in my life and allow God to give me a fresh look and abhorrence for it that will help me to actively remove it and receive God's grace.

We met and Momma Brown brought this yummy Indian lentil soup, tandoori bread and pineapples for dinner- DELICIOUS. Although we never got to the book because we spent quite a bit of time praying for a near and dear friend and church member, we were able to share our personal prayer requests and uplift each other in prayer. I look forward to how God is going to grow and sharpen me through interaction with and learning to love my sweet sisters in this small group.

No comments: