I was late to work today because I drove instead of Metroing and got lost. I ended up getting there the same time I got there yesterday. Go figure!
Today was focused on introducing us to and explaining the Math (in the morning) and Reading (in the afternoon) curriculum that we'd be using. Because the workshops were grade specific and I'm not sure which of K-5th grades I'll be working with I chose 2nd grade since I've taught it.
I'm so thankful that they're taking so much care into inducting us into the system and guiding us as far as what we will be working with and giving us advice and tips on using it. I realize though that the pressure is on them and that they are being held accountable for student success so they need to provide us with all the guidance necessary. I missed out on this aspect when I started my old job but I must say that as new curriculum were adopted they got a lot better about having someone come in to introduce us to it.
As the Math and Reading consultants shared how she was using the curriculum in her classroom and gave suggestions I got a bit nostalgic and sad that I won't have opportunities to implement those ideas and do fun lead teacher stuff anymore. However, at the same time I remember what it was like to be a classroom teacher in a self contained classroom and the demands and requirements of juggling real students, real unexpected situations, doing all the supplemental activities AND teaching everything that I was supposed to. Teaching is HARD work! I do look forward however, to working with the teachers and English language learners to help them succeed and grasp concepts within the content that are level appropriate for them.
I had a good run tonight. I ran the whole 2.2 miles (and then some -maybe 2.5) WITHOUT headphones. It was actually pretty good. I kept thinking I'm going to get bored and unmotivated and want to stop but I actually ended up spending that entire half an hour (yeah, I'm THAT slow) praying for my small group and a friend from church. I actually think I favor this over the dance music that skips on the cd player!
Well, my parents are coming into town tomorrow afternoon so I'll be praying for their safe drive up all morning. I'm SOOOO glad I don't have to work on Monday!
No comments:
Post a Comment