Well, I just spent the weekend with my family. They flew in Friday afternoon and we drove down to take my brother to college. Driving here has always been an issue of contention because it's hard enough driving on the opposite side of the road but this place can be downright confusing. We don't have ramps and exits and what not and roads turning into other roads and splitting etc. It's still difficult for me to navigate sometimes (anyone who knows me knows I often get lost the first 4 times I go somewhere)and I've been living here let alone help someone else drive. In any event, I'm thankful God kept us safe and praying that He will keep my family safe on the roads while we're apart for the remainder of their time here.
It was so weird going back to my old alma matter. I hadn't been back in about 3 years and there have been SO many changes. There are shopping centers and restaurants galore -it seems like it's all been built around the university. The university itself has exploded into what seems a mini-Mecca. They've taken advantage of all of the land and added many new dorms (I feel sorry for those poor children that have to walk from those new dorms to the academic buildings but I hear there's shuttle service now). The main academic building has been expanded to about 3 times it's size, there's (get this) an ice skating center on campus now and the chancellor's church and el/high school that used to be 15-20 minutes away has now been placed on the campus with the University! I can't imagine the traffic and hustle and bustle on the campus that must now occur. It's a bit overwhelming for me, even though I live near the city, because it's so different from the quaintness I recall of my college days. Yup, my college days are over.
I got to see my old youth leader, her husband and kids who moved there 3 years ago. I also got to see my friend Heather again briefly before heading out of town. We met at Coldstone Creamery for a spell before heading out. I saw her last weekend when my roomate Mary and I drove down to her parents' house for her baby shower but it was good to spend some one-on-one time with her. Not only has the city changed but people and their lives have changed. I remember that when I was last there Heather had just started dating her now husband and my youth leader and her family had just moved there. 2 of my girlfriends were living there (one was a student working on campus the other was graduating and living with her husband there). My youth leader has worked as a teacher at the school, advisor/professor at the university and now will be vice principal at the high school. Heather is now married -with a baby girl due on my birthday! My one friend has moved back to FL and the other and her husband moved to TN shortly after she graduated and are now expecting a baby in February!
This trip has made me nostalgic and yearn for the adventure and excitement of my college days at some points. But it's been good to go back and see that things have changed (dramatically) and remind me that there is a time and season for everything. That time and season in my life is over. I can't go back and relive those moments. I'm an adult now (can you believe it!) and God has ordered my life for a new season, a new surroundings, new circumstances, new relationships. I can savor the memories, experiences and lessons I've learned there and the 4 years after and let God use them to shape and mold me into the woman He wants me.
No comments:
Post a Comment