I FINALLY got to see and work in my room today. It's SOO cute. The previous teacher left a couch so it makes the room quite cozy (as one coworker put it). I'm overwhelmed by the resources we have available. I've got 4 computers AND a printer for use by my students, a television and sink/cupboard station and a wonderful wipeboard/lined wipeboard/chart paper/bin , rolling do-hickey thing (trust me it's a really GOOD thing). There's also a big Math manipulatives kit, reading rod kit.
I'm getting a bit more understanding and insight on what I may be doing. The previous teacher left a summary of what she had done the last few months with the students as well as her schedule. It looks like I'll be meeting with no more than 10 students at a time in my room for pull out instruction and at least once a week in their classroom for inclusion. I'd like to do a lot of group work within those small group meetings in my room as well.
Unfortunately, we haven't yet divided the students amongst us so I don't know what grades I'll be teaching. I'm a bit sad about that because I'd love to start going through the teacher manuals to get an idea of what they'll be learning and which standards link to the curriculum but I'll have to go through several curriculums of K-5th grade in order to be sure I covered everything. I've been told by both the returning ESOL teacher and another coworker that I'll just have to wait until I have my list of students and that the first week is pretty much observation of the classes and testing of the students I receive.
The other new ESOL teacher was transferred from another school that he enjoyed teaching K-3rd ESOL to. He has a really good attitude about being here and really seems to be interested in the good of the students. Honestly, I think I'd prefer that level as well but I know that overall whatever level my Father sees fit to give me is best so I have no expectations.
I'm very thankful for the relationships I've been able to form so far. Our school counselor is so sweet. She came to my room today to help me set up and we had a good conversation. I thought she was a couple years older than me, only to find out she has a 20 year old son! She really looks great! There's also a coworker that lives near me that I've been offering rides to and from school. She's really nice and she's been giving me a lot of good advice and info. on running. I really like her and her interest and dedication to teaching children with special needs. I trust that the Lord will help me build these relationships throughout the year in ways that please Him.
So I beat my time running today. I did 2.5 miles in 27 minutes as opposed to my 30 minutes. I KNOW it's not much difference but hey- it's something. I'm finding that I'm less tired and seem to be getting used to that routine. The only thing is I just recently started using that time to talk to my Father so, I may have to start going out earlier and increasing my distance because we've been having some good talks!
1 comment:
Go, Kendria, go!
Way to run those miles! Today I fell- well, it ended up being more of a slam - into the dirt when I went running. Ouch! I have a deep gouge in my hand and several scrapes and a big bruise on my hip. Oh well, at least I didn't knock out my two front teeth.
I hope you're enjoying teaching! Talk to you later.
Katie
Post a Comment