Thursday, August 10, 2006

Today was a pretty hectic day and I thank the Lord for it and all that He taught me through it.

After getting up early to drive the route to school to see what time I'd need to leave to get there in time I mad my way to the DMV to get a new license (before it expires on my birthday in a few weeks and before I go back to work), plates, title and register my car. I had already gotten my inspection sticker and emissions testing done yesterday so I only had a 20 minute wait.

I got everything processed and was waiting for them to call me to take care of my driver's license when I was called back and told that I didn't have acceptable documentation of legal presence. I was dumbfounded. They had my passport with my visas what was the problem? As it turned out because my old visa with my old employer expired while I'm waiting to receive the new one, it isn't valid or acceptable. I was so sad as I was given back my documents and turned away. If my license expired, I couldn't drive and I couldn't get one unless I had that visa. When I presented the dilemma to the teller she suggested I go back to MD and renew it. Unfortunately, with the new procedures since Sept. 9th, they'll probably require the same thing.

I got home not in a very accommodating mood. I was really upset and I prayed. I prayed that the Lord would help me remember that even the little things are in His control. I prayed that He would help me to remember that He is Sovereign and works all things out according to His plan which is good.

I ended up calling my immigration consultant and asking her for some advice. During the conversation I realized that my license expires next year not this year (whew!) so I could save $100 now however, she also informed me that the additional information that they requested from me to show that I was licensed in the areas I'd been hired for needed to be received within 12 weeks. If not, my case would be thrown out and I'd just read that they'd end capped the visas for 2007 already so I wouldn't be able to re-apply and get one until 2008!

Anyway, I tried contacting the school system to see if they could give me word on whether the copies I'd sent them had been forwarded. My immigration consultant then informed me that the cheque that was sent to them should have my case number on it and I could use that to see if it had been received. I went online to find it but because it had been written and cashed months ago it was no longer available. I tried calling the system again but had to leave a message. It was then that Doris suggested I just go to the bank and have them look it up for me. So I did.

The very nice guy in customer service who helped me out a few weeks ago was helpful once more in looking up my cheque and printing it out for me (I wonder if he knows Jesus-maybe if I run into him again I'll be able to tell him about Jesus). I was very confused by all of the stamps on the back of the cheque and a bit frustrated at that point because nothing looked familiar. I thanked him for his help and told him that I knew everything would work out. I prayed once again that God would just work things out for me. Eventually, I was able to use the information on the back of the cheque to check on my case and confirm that the information had been received recently and is being processed.

Because I got all that done in the morning I was able to go for a 2 mile run with my friend KA during the afternoon and then run about another mile back home from the gas station that she stopped at. I then got ready for my friend Alden and his girlfriend Emily to come over so that I could help them practice their dance moves. I really didn't think I would be any use to them since it had been at least a year since I was on the dance floor but I think we really got some things accomplished and it was REALLY fun! I was glad I got to hang out with Emily-she's a peach. I remember really liking her when we met but I hadn't really spent much time around her.

I remember clearly thanking God this morning on my drive to work for His kindness and mercies and asking that He would help me not forget Him or lose my love and that I wouldn't stop being dependent on Him. He really used this day to remind me that I can't live a day without Him and how important it is to be connected to Him and set my mind on Him through all situations and circumstances that occur throughout the day. Yet another reminder that although God doesn't promise to protect and shield His children from the harshness and headaches that come as a result of living in a fallen world, He will be there to guide you and keep you and give you peace in the midst of them.

No comments: