Friday, January 29, 2010

HUMBLY CORRECTED

First off, I use a set of 5 colored cards in a pocket for each student to help them monitor their behavior. They flip from good (yellow) to warning (green with a frown) to orange (missing out on something they like) and no one has ever gotten past orange and only TO orange twice.

So today I was walking my kids from library. As we were coming down the stairs one of my students questioned me about another student......
Student: Teacher, ______ flipped a card today?

Me: Yes she did but you know, why are you paying attention to what she did? You should not be minding her business. I want you to mind your own business.

Student: Okay. Thank you for telling me.

I was so surprised by his polite, humble and sweet reply to my correction that I bust out laughing (well it was cute and funny how he said it too). As we continued walking the six flights, I had opportunity for further thought, " Am I as humble each time my Father kindly and lovingly corrects me or uses someone else to?" He chastens those of us whom He loves. If He is loving us by correcting us, doesn't it stand to reason that our response should display an appreciation for that love?

How wonderful that this child is already doing that, that is something to be cultivated. That is something to be done by all of us who believe. Before we got back I made it a point to highlight and commend his humble response and thank him for it.

I will mention, that someone pointed out that perhaps he wasn't being nosey (a big pet peeve of mine amongst children) but was asking from concern or wanting clarification. This might be true and maybe in similar situations in the future, it might be more gracious of me to clarify 'why' the child is asking instead of assuming their motives. Just a thought.....

No comments: