Monday, December 11, 2006

Today I was actually able to rouse myself out of bed in time to meet my Sunday school team early to plan for teaching. In all honesty, I thought I was late but I got the time confused so I was early. Anywho.... After our meeting I was able to sit in on the Old Testament seminar which was currently in the books of Kings (1st and 2nd). You know the Old Testament is a REALLY good book. It's filled with history, action, adventure, a little romance, poetry, suspense-pretty much everything. Anyway, We pretty much talked about the redemptive-historical context and how the covenant with David loomed in the background of the exile and calamity because of the kings' rebellion.

I love how 2 Kings leaves you with a cliffhanger. You KNOW that God made a promise with David to redeem the people through his descendants but you also know that David's descendants have sinned, the kingdom is divided the people attacked. Jehoiachim is imprisoned, his kingdom take over by his uncle Mattaniah (a.k.a. Zedekiah) who sees his sons put to death right before his own eyes are put out and he too is killed and if you're a part of the tribe of Judah,yeah, you're thinking-alas David's line has perished, all is lost (although I know it isn't really because I know who God is and I already know the end of the story-but nonetheless I still feel the suspense)! Then, there's that ray of hope - Jehoiachim is preserved even though he was imprisoned for 37 years. Yes. God is faithful, always. He keeps His promises, always.

So aside from thinking, hmmmm..... the Old Testament is an exciting book to reread, my thoughts were,"what can I personally take away from this?" Well...how often am I like the people of God back then. I know who God is, I've read His promises, seen His faithful hand yet because of the limitations of my finite (dare I even allude to calling what I have wisdom?) knowledge and sinful nature, I often doubt His promises, wisdom in and plan for my life.

On another note however, I had a conversation with one of my housies (sometimes it's kind of weird to call them roomies because we all have our own rooms) who said that after reading 1st Samuel- 2 Chronicles last summer she was gripped with fear to behave herself lest all of her city-dwelling descendants be eaten by dogs and those in the country by vultures...and who wants that? So that's .....another perspective.

The pastor's sermon today was based on Peter's writings on the Final Day in 2 Peter 3:1-10. I was charged with the point of one of the ways of being distinct from worldiness is by giving myself over faithfully to the study of God's word and constantly taking from it reminders of what God has done. I mean it's sad and humbling to admit that I can quote lines from my fave ridiculously funny show "The Office" but haven't been keeping up with my Scripture memory. And while a merry heart is good medicine, the word of God is good for my heart, my life and edification of others. Furthermore, God's words are so much more powerful and true than the words of Michael Scott or any of those other make-believe characters on "The Office".

I thought too, that I still struggle with what the children of Israel had to deal with even though I have thousands of years and evidence of promises kept on my side. I too need to live with Christ's coming in mind. Regardless of when things around me look bleak or like it's taking a long time coming, I need to prepare myself for His return and to return all that He has entrusted to me.

No comments: