My Spring break was pretty eventful. I decided to fly my sister out here to spend a few days so that we could get some bonding time. I had a fever and sore throat on Thursday and after finding that many of our students were battling strep throat, I went in to the doctor's office on Friday and he said I had no strep just a cold. I was pretty excited because that meant my sister could still come. Unfortunately, I think I overexerted myself that day preparing for her arrival
and not resting up enough. Ru went with me to pick her up because that evening I was feeling pretty googly.
My housemates and I were going to get up early Saturday to have a sunrise breakfast picnic amongst the cherry blossoms but I declined when we returned from the airport because I realized that I probably needed the rest. LP's best friend was coming into town the next evening so they were going to go on Monday instead and we would go with them.
On Saturday morning I woke up feeling really nauseaus, headed to the bathroom and fainted. I was so thankful that LP was there because she heard me konk out, found me on the bathroom floor with a fever, revived me and called my doctor who suggested giving me tylenol/water and monitoring me or taking me to the hospital. We decided to just do the tylenol/water thing. So from early morning to around 10 the poor thing was running back and forth every half hour or so checking on me until my other housemates came home (she was supposed to be working on her thesis before her guest came to visit that evening!)
From there Ky and Mar took turns checking on me. I pretty much slept until they came in, persuaded me to drink water, take tylenol, check my temp and gave me watermelon. Unfortunately, around 4 my fever spiked almost to 104 and they took me to the hospital! I was there until around 10 while they ran tests, hooked me up to IV and what not. The doctor said I was dehydrated and had a case of sinusitis, one of which caused the fainting. I can't say enough how thankful I am for my living situation and how my housies gave up of their time to tend and care for me as well as entertain my sister while I couldn't.
By Sunday evening I felt much better and was for the most part out of my zombie-like state and able to start catching up with my sis. On Monday, we were able to go for a very brief walk around the city. However, I didn't have much of an appetite and consequently not much energy, and my sis was NOT too thrilled about walking around in the hot sun. So shortly after getting off the Metro we decided to get back on and just go home.
My small group decided to have an evening picnic on Tuesday so after preparing food, she and I hopped the Metro for that as well.
It was REALLY nice that things worked out the way that they did. I'm not glad I was sick or fainted, or had to go to the hospital but I AM glad that I was in such a state that I was able to just spend time talking to and focusing on my sister as opposed to sights or activities.
No comments:
Post a Comment