Monday, April 16, 2007

COSTCO Run!

Between being constantly tired, considerably irritated and a series of miscommunications that have caused me to make several decisions I've mulled over in regret, my weekend started off on a not so happy note. I missed out on the house dinner that precluded, LP's b-day celebrations Friday evening to hang out with some friends and watch a new flick. Skipping out on the dinner wasn't such a big deal because we were going to celebrate with LP early the next morning until afternoon when several of us had other plans. However, I ended up coming home VERY late and just too tired to get up and unable to clearly communicate that I still wanted to partake in the celebrations or even call everyone to see if I could meet them because I'd misplaced my phone the night before.

I'm still not quite sure how I feel about the flick but I was REALLY tired, wanted to skip both the flick and dinner and just wanted to SLEEP! I think maybe I'll just have to stay away from movies at theatres. You can't turn it off if you don't like it, you can't leave if you're with other people, you can't fast forward if you're not comfortable with what you're seeing or hearing AND you pay about 3 times as much for those "perks". Maybe I'm right in my analysis that they just don't make good, clean, beautiful movies anymore.

So Friday evening ended rather blandly for me and Saturday started off a bit frustrating. However, I was the designated driver for a COSTCO run with two lovely ladies from my small group. We were shopping for food to prepare for the intern lunch and I'm so thankful for the beginnings of this ray of sunshine in my so far dreary and disappointing weekend (both emotionally and weather-wise).

I felt kind of guilty that we had SO much fun shopping together but in reality, that's RIGHT up my alley. I love spending time with people and I LOVE doing things to help/serve people. So spending time with DW and Lil' Yee, for what turned into a 4-hour event, purchasing and planning things to serve the college students and interns for lunch was such a treat! From Lil' Yee and I blowing hot air in the really cold fruit and vegetable room, to chatting over berry sundaes when we were done shopping. DW even taught me the correct way to pick cantaloupes. It was reminiscent of growing up and going shopping with my Daddy or Mummy and Aunty.

Actually, to be completely honest, that was probably my favorite pastime outside of the house. Yeah, I was a homebody. After loading and unloading my car, which was an interesting feat in itself, I hurried home hoping I'd still be able to hang with LP for some of her birthday. But alas she, Ky and Ru had gone to a movie. I was able to get together with them all briefly to help LP find her birthday card from her best friend. She had cleverly devised a "The Office" -themed scavenger hunt which led LP to various housies to impersonate characters or to clues to her birthday card. That was fun. Then it was time to retire to bed for me. I was able to sit down with LP for a few minutes to agree on us getting together next week to celebrate her birthday. Thankfully, she'll be 27 for a whole year and I figure I'm supposed to be 27 soon (oh HOW the years go by), by next week she'll be able to answer some pertinent questions for me. I need to know what this 27 is like so I can decide for sure if that's what I should be next!

Sunday was a full but delightful day. After the morning service my small group met in the kitchen to set out and finish preparing the meal. LOTS of fun! AC and I hung out afterwards. We took leftovers to the Bull Moose and went to the bookstore to hunt down the Bible on tape/cd. I really enjoyed some one-on-one time with AC. I haven't had that in a LONG time. It was encouraging. At 5 we went to a meeting at church then headed over to a family's house for what we were told, by a little birdie, was a "get together for ladies" starting at "5:30". Well.....there were several guys there AND it was from 4:30 TO 5:30. Anyway......it was nice to pop in for a spell.

It's funny but the whole doing "stuff" thing isn't really my cup of tea. I mean I like to do stuff like go to plays and watch "The Office" but I find so much more joy in just spending time with someone, (or more practically) helping people or serving WITH people especially in ways that foster talking or sharing life. I think that was exactly what I needed to get my mind off of my self-absorbed little disappointments and frustrations. All in all, it turned out to be a pretty decent weekend.

No comments: