Thursday, May 31, 2012

JULY

So I made an unforeseen decision to return to the West for 3 weeks to help out my best bud and her husband who were expecting their 2nd son this month. She was having a c-section and already had a 1 year old at home and none of her family would be able to make it to help her out so I figured I wasn't doing anything, why couldn't I go back to help out? He arrived a little earlier than planned so he was a week old and waiting for me when I got there. I REALLY enjoyed getting to spend time with her boys. Her eldest is familiar with me from Skype and has his own little personality now. I had fun getting to know him and help him learn how do do things more independently that would be a help for his mum (climbing in and out of his stroller, coming out of his crib and booster seat with assistance).
The funny thing is I don't care for newborns. The last friends I had that had a newborn, I think I waited for about 3 months before I'd hold her. However, I fell in love with this delightful newborn child (I guess I have it in me). I was fascinated by the sounds he made and the things he did (stretching, yawning, opening his eyes a crack, kicking his leg, moving his hand). It was a very surprising experience for me and just great to be with my friend again. It was the first time I'd been around for her birthday which we spent at my favorite American restaurant, The Cheesecake Factory.
A special treat for me was one Saturday when they hired a photographer to take family pictures and since I'm an honorary 'A-yi' (Chinese aunt on the mum's side) I got to be in them too! They basically told me to show up and dress nice-it was a really nice surprise!

I also had time to catch up with old friends,  
try a new confection shop 

and visit  my favorite authentic Taiwanese restaurant!  

All of my favorite dishes from A & J's.  If I ever go there without my Chinese friends I'm just going to take this picture and re-order this stuff because after 4 years I still don't know the names!     Well......... I know Bubble Tea!

I had to make some decisions about the future that kinda stressed me out the first few weeks. So much had changed. My friends had changed, their lives were changing drastically and I felt like I had changed and while I didn't make a decision TO change my plans for the future, I realized for the first time that I didn't have to stay the course that I had planned out so long ago. Not only do things change but my Father had taught me a lot and caused me to learn things about Himself and myself that made me realize that as long as I was most concerned with what He was concerned with it didn't matter if my self-ordained path changed, what mattered most was always being about His business wherever I would go and whatever I would do. That being said, I left feeling pretty good about going forward with plans to move to a new realm of work overseas and trust that He would, like he has SO many times in the path, change those plans and redirect me if He so desires.

No comments: