This month I’ve had the privilege of being able to reflect even more on the historical account of Luke 2:8-14 as it’s been what I’ve been teaching. I’m a big fan of mixing music and Scripture (my favorites are the ones for children from Seeds Family Worship). So I was ecstatic to find that one of them had a song for Lk 2:8-14.
Here’s the thing, as I began sharing the joy of what Christmas means through it took me back to thinking about what the world was like back then. At the beginning of the year I impressed upon these little ones the truth that God ALWAYS keeps his promises.
As I pondered how the entire world lay in eager and anxious anticipation for a Savior, I considered how scary it must have been for Mary and Joseph to obey, yet thrilling to be a part of must at some point have seemed like a strange way to save His people. How the shepherds were terrified when they saw the angel and what must have gone through their hearts when they were told of the good news that would bring joy to ALL people.
Every single time I picture it I get goosebumps thinking of the sky being filled with angels praising God and of WHAT they were saying because truly, peace has come to all men upon whom His favor rests. And those shepherds HURRIED to see what the angels had told them! Can you imagine? Being able to SEE the Savior when he was born, KNOWING that the one you look upon was the Savior who had been promised so long ago? And the Magi eagerly and diligently following that star from so far, for so long knowing that it would lead them to a king- THE king!
See I can’t HELP but get joyful about Christmas or be filled with eager anticipation. That’s what Christmas is about. God’s promise to man being fulfilled. Something that mankind longed for, had been long awaiting had finally arrived. AND it was a blessing to ALL people! Christmas joy and excitement for me is about the joy and excitement I imagine Mary, Joseph, Elizabeth, Zacharias, Anna, the shepherds and Wise Men all must have felt knowing that they would soon meet the Savior. That God’s great promise was being fulfilled.
Only, I have the privilege of seeing it on the flip side as well. I get to live in the here in now, IN LIGHT OF, that promise being fulfilled! It’s amazing what this means and the joy that fills my heart, the hearts of many before me and I trust in His kindness will fill many after me. We can rejoice not that the Savior “is” coming, but that He came, we know that He saves, saved and is coming again! That He saves not just a select ethnic group but everyone who trusts and believes. That is some GOOD news!
I was thinking of my friend and how she chose to celebrate her birthday and it made me think that in a way, it’s a perfect illustration of what God did. The day of Christ’s birth was the greatest gift ever given to mankind. His birth was a blessing to us all in so many ways. I pray that I live my life as a testimony of who He is and the joy that He came to bring to all people.
No comments:
Post a Comment