Thursday, December 17, 2009

Funny things my students say....

One week we were talking about the senses and classifying/categorizing things. I'd had them sort buttons of different shapes, sizes, colors and numbers of holes and talk about how they're the same (all buttons) and when you group them you group them by things they have in common/how they're alike (color, shape, size, number of holes etc.)

So another day I showed them 5 pictures of rabbits (straight ears, drooped ears, tuft tails, flat tails, big eyes, small eyes etc.). Intending to first identify the similarity between them all, I prodded with, "Okay boys and girls. Here are 5 pictures. There is something that is similar in all of these pictures. These pictures show things that are the same. Do you think you know how they are alike, how they are the same? Can you tell me? They are all alike/the same because they are all________________? -----And every single one of them exclaimed, "CUTE!!!" I couldn't help but laugh. I had to concede that perhaps they were all cute but there was something else that everyone could say was the same about them!

No comments: