Thursday, November 30, 2006

I love children. I love working with children. I enjoy and am personally fulfilled by seeing their educational needs and or deficits and working hard to meet those needs and bridge the gaps. That being said, it is sometimes overwhelming albeit frustrating to be faced with these basic duties as well as those of "the powers that be" who dictate what goes and where we should be heading in the world of education which unfortunately can never be fully reached without the full support and involvement of the parents of these precious ones.

I think I heard the dilemma best illustrated recently in saying that when the top dog (whoever he or she may be) has a job to do but is bombarded with issues, they realize that they're dealing with something that should or could be taken care of by those directly underneath them, those directly under them feel the heat, then realize that the problem should or could be one solved by whomever is directly under their supervision, and so on until it gets to principals who, as if they already don't have enough to do, aren't being paid to do both their jobs and our jobs so they put the onus back onto the teachers.

And HEREIN lies a big part of the problem- the teachers realize that the problems are directly related to issues that they are powerless to solve, unfortunately those in position of solving them are the parents and we have NO jurisdiction or control over them. Thus, the weight in the world of education falls, unfairly, and squarely on our shoulders. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a gripe about public school, in fact the other, possibly most important, piece to this all is the fact that students are robbed of having their main and fundamental problem of sin and rebellion addressed. This is just a realization of the sad state of education that currently exists to the detriment of the students. I truly believe that the bottom line is students will learn best and education (both public and private) will be most effective when there is parental involvement and control.

Okay, I've gotten that out! What I'll eventually do with this information, I have no idea but I went for a run today in this gorgeous (not at all winter-like weather) and had these thoughts floating around in my head. My running time is my time to spend talking to God and since I clearly can't single-handedly do anything about the state of education (short of hopefully home-schooling my own children one day) I did the only thing I could do. I brought it on my knees in prayer- well on the balls of my feet since I was actually running at the time. I was reminded that my frustrations are something I can bring before Him remembering that this world is not perfect; thankful, for His sustaining, merciful and ever-present hand in this fallen world, hopeful that one day He will make everything right and encouraged to trust Him for where He has, is and will lead me. A year ago I wasn't even sure I'd have a job and now I've been blessed with one and I'm right where He wants me doing just what He wants me doing and facing the occupational challenges He is allowing. All in all, teaching is one of those jobs that can best be described as a battlefield. I don't know how it's done without the armour and protection of God.

Yup, I love going for runs, they can be so refreshing and rejuvenating both physically and spiritually!

No comments: