Sunday, September 24, 2006

It was SOOOO good to have Thabiti back today. He came back to do a wedding this weekend and did the sermon this Sunday. It was a timely and challenging message for me right now. His text was Psalm 119 in it's entirety (that's some really good stuff)and he talked about understanding the nature of God's word and our attitude towards it. I was really challenged by the importance of staying in the word because it is the means we've been giving to know God and provides us with life, peace, wisdom, comfort, you name it. All those questions and decisions that are so hard to make and exhausting, He gives the grace and knowledge needed to follow His paths. I've been so very busy lately with wrapping my head around work and just getting into a routine and I needed to be reminded of this. I was reminded of God's nature, His lovingkindness, His sustenance the hope and joy that can be found in Him and also the fact that as ruler and creator He demands All that we need to live the life that He has called us to. This world is so fallen and broken that apart from the love of Jesus we would perish.

I was really struck by how broken the psalmist was over sin and how he pleaded and prayed to know God's word and delight and obey it. It's funny because when you know God and are walking with Him you want to know more about Him and spend time with Him and talk about Him. The love and delight you have for Him prompts you to have an attitude that seeks Him and His word and as you do so you learn more about Him that causes you to want to draw even closer to Him and the wonderful cycle continues. But when you get lazy and let yourself stray the next thing you know you really have to preach at yourself and remind yourself of who He is and who you are.

So I'm trying to seek God and spend time in His word more and hide His word in my heart, meditate on it day and night and plead with God to help me not sin against His word and delight in it. It was really good to be reminded of this and I'm thankful for God's kindness in using Thabiti to share God's word with us.

No comments: