Sunday, May 20, 2007

Today was Charoy's graduation. Somehow we all managed to be up and out of the house on time AND run into my aunt and uncle by arriving at the same time. When we got to the entrance of the building of the college where the event was being held we realized that we were still short about 5 tickets because extra people had showed up and we'd given the tickets away. So myself, Uncle,Mummy, Daddy, Kenny and Renny gave up our tickets so that everyone else could get in. We just prayed that somehow someone would have extra tickets to give us so that we could get in. Well, within the first 10 minutes the ticket collectors had gotten hold of 4 tickets and we all went in, my Uncle told us to come back out and let him know where we were sitting because he knew he'd get in. When we got in there were actually still seats near the rest of my family so we all pretty much sat together. Then Renny and I went to let my uncle know where to look for us. I sat there thanking my Father for the opportunity for us all to come together like this and getting those 4 extra tickets and asked that He would get my uncle in as well. In another 15 minutes, my uncle was inside sitting next to Renny and I! I think Charoy might have won the prize for loudest applause (if there really were such a prize)!

Following the ceremony we had a time of photo shooting (of course!) as we waited for the graduate and her parents to make their way out of the crowd and meet us.
After congratulating Charoy, we all headed back to our place for a much needed nap before going over to my aunt and uncle's for Charoy's graduation party. We got there a little late and missed my uncle's opening speech but there was a DJ, karaoke and still lots of GREAT food (Bahamian style!) and lots of treats from my uncle.

I was unaware that my uncle had any kind of vocal talent. I remember hanging out with him in his shop while I was in middle school during the summers and singing along to oldies but...... Anyway, he serenaded Charoy with "I love you just the way you are" and later serenaded my aunt a couple of times. It was just PRECIOUS! Later, my uncle's pastor and pastor's wife came by to impart words of encouragement and wisdom for Charoy. As the crowd thinned we all just kind of hung around and caught up with each other and life. After the gathering cleared out, some of my family (the women) decided to go shopping and once they'd finished my uncle and I went to pick them up. After having a BIG family prayer time we cleared out. I said my goodbyes (gosh I don't know WHEN I'll see these people again!) and headed to our place to get ready to drop me to the airport in the morning on their way to service with my aunt and uncle.

No comments: