Monday, October 16, 2006

I think I had too good of a weekend. I was really struggling to get back into the swing of things today.

On Friday my day ended quite happily. I found out we'd been given until today to turn in an assignment that was somewhat confusing and time consuming so it was nice to have the weekend to mull it over (unfortunately I accidentally left it on my desk and had to complete it today). Also, I was able to document progress in my 2 students that are really behind that I meet with daily. The kindergartener didn't know how to write his name, letters or their sounds a month ago. The 1st grader who is experiencing school for the first time didn't know any letter sounds and only knew some of the letters so he was way behind his classmates who are already reading and taking spelling tests.

So on Friday, I was able to see my kindergartener writing his first AND last name without ANY visual prompts! We still need to work on naming letters and making their sounds and being able to spell/say the letters in his name- but progress is progress!










My 1st grader was building one syllable words. Although we still need to work on the more difficult letter sounds and differentiating between b and d.













Friday night two of my housemates and I ended up going dancing. I haven't been in over a year. I was pretty rusty AND they were doing mostly West Coast Swing which I had just started learning before I took my hiatus from dancing. But it was a lot of fun to hang out with Kyla and Lauren.

On Saturday I drove down to see my friend Heather and her 1 month old baby Allie. It was soooo good to spend time with her for a few hours and catch up. She's a Mummy!!!!!!!

Sunday's sermons were excellent! I was reminded that all the trials, heartaches and just the general going ons of life are being used by God to prepare us for that final day when we'll be united with Him as well as challenged by the urgency of the Gospel message because the grace and peace that we do experience in this fallen world are only for a short time.

Lastly, and on a possibly LIGHT note(?) a friend of mine invited my roomates and I over on short notice to his Bible study. He told my one roomate that he really wanted us to come for a "fun" night. Being a girl, knowing he was dating an amazing woman who is the most perfect fit for him that I've yet seen and concluding that the only reason he could be inviting us all over to his Bible study would be to share the news with everyone I intended to stop at his place after church with my assumptions to briefly congratulate them on my way home and go for a run. I didn't even take my purse inside because I didn't plan on staying more than 5 minutes.

When I arrived, he opened the door, I saw him and instantly blurted out "Hey! Congratulations!" I then waltzed past him into his living room went up to his girlfriend and exclaimed, "Congratulations!" I was all excited and it took me a moment to notice that everyone was looking at me like I was an alien and she was not responding to me in the way one would expect of someone who had just shared with everyone that she was engaged. I then stopped in my tracks, looked around and asked, quite innocently, "What's wrong? Why's everyone looking at me like that?" My friend then pulled me out in the hall and asked me who told me he was engaged. I was in such a state of confusion and all I could think was "Oh no! He hasn't asked her, he was GOING to ask her and I spoiled it!" As it turned out, he HAD asked her but was planning on waiting until the END of the night to tell everyone the good news! So I kind of forced his hand and sped up the announcement! Then to make matters worse, after he explains to everyone that he is engaged, I congratulated them again then made my exit leaving everyone in my wake. I'm really glad that he's a pretty easy-going guy. In fact he's already enjoying sharing that story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kendria!
We were catching up with our blogging friends and were talking about all the people we miss at CHBC. Your posts included some of our closest friends - Joanna, Arcinda, Fedor, etc.! Tell them all hi! But we couldn't figure out who it is who is engaged! We feel so far behind! We want to know all the newly pregnant & engaged so we can celebrate and pray for them!
Love and miss you,
Kristie & girls