Monday, June 30, 2008

QUEST FOR A FOUNTAIN

So despite the Benadryl I took around 10, I didn't go to bed until after 1 last night. Amazingly, I woke up at 7 on the dot. However, we weren't planning on heading out until around 9:30 so I tried to take a "nap" but slept on my phone, didn't hear the alarm and woke up at 9:30! Joey was already up and ready. I was a bit disappointed because I'd anticipated struggling to get up because of my late night but since I'd woken at 7 anyway, I had no excuse.

I got ready while Joey got some stuff done at home which gave me enough time to get in the word and have some breakfast before heading out with her. Then I called the other new summer staffer who had also just gotten up and since I was going to run errands with Joey before heading in her direction that gave her time to get ready as well. I accompanied Joey to place an order for a pizza dinner, get breakfast and go to the bank. I observed that there was an initial guard before you even entered behind a non-see-through window that you first had to check in with. Then when you entered you had to go to the reception, who would direct you to the appropriate forms and area needed for you to carry out your business. Very formal and official although I was surprised to see that their work attire was so casual.

We didn't start our day exploring together until around noon. We decided to ride the metro to some stops that we'd probably need to be familiar with and just lolly-gag and explore those areas. Although she'd been here last year she made sure to set me straight in the beginning that we might be getting lost- which I had no problem with. The area had some beautiful views and we stopped at a little "snack" shop that sold hot sandwiches and HAL LAL food! I had a very hard time trying to order and communicate as I kept speaking in Spanish or using Italian phrases! I finally got a yummy falafel wrap and discovered the Lemon Fanta. DeLICious! It's like a TING! When I went home this Spring I was very disappointed to find that they were no longer selling Junkanoo Tingum, which is the Bahamian version of the Jamaican Ting. But a Lemon Fanta is just as good! I will DEFINITELY try to make my way back to the snack shop if I'm ever in that area for lunch again. During lunch I observed that (and perhaps only in this shop) people sit down and eat and pay for their meal prior to leaving. Grant it, that's what one would do at a regular restaurant but I just wouldn't assume that would ring true for a small shop where you walk in place your order and take the food to your seat because you may be taking it out. I guess too, one of the gentleman was trying to communicate to me that we could sit out at the table on the sidewalk as I communicated that I would much rather stay inside the shop so it was clear that we'd be eating in.

After lunch, we attempted to go and visit a pretty popular site that has gardens and a beautiful fountain. I'd already nixed the idea of visiting any cathedrals to see painted glass because I'm not really into self-guided tours. I love learning about history when I visit sites so just visiting a site for visiting it's sake doesn't really interest me unless there's a history lesson or connection involved. However, I'm always up for gardens and fountains and I was pretty sure it was the same gorgeous place the two young ladies visiting this past weekend told me they'd spent the day at. Sarah remembered going there last year and that they got off at one stop and it was the wrong one. Well, we got off at one stop and it was the wrong one then we got on and got off at another but we couldn't figure out where to next although she recalled that a bus would be needed. By then I'd already written down a few phrases and was able to communicate to a lady at the bus stop that "I'd like the fountain" and the name of the place. She hesitated, I repeated again and pointed to the name of the place on the map. She explained (I think) in her language that we needed bus 5. We waited for bus 5 after she left with another lady who kept smiling at me. On the bus we realized that we weren't sure which stop to get off at. I figured that I'd ask Miss Smiley. She started asking me if I spoke (I'm not sure what language but I interpreted the rest of the phrase) and then I asked her in Spanish if she spoke Spanish and was then surprised to find that she spoke a little English however not enough to clearly communicate to me about how to get to our desired location. She directed me to the bus driver. I informed him that "I'd like" and the name of the place, at which point, he repeated "I'd like" and added another word before the name of the place. I said, yes with a question in my voice and repeated what I'd said. Again he repeated "I'd like" and added another word before the name of the place, said something else and he, the lady and another gentleman had some chuckles. I'm not sure if he was correcting me on my grammar or what but between he and the lady it was communicated that she was getting off at the same stop. The other gentleman attempted to speak to me and of course I couldn't understand a syllable. By then "I don't understand" had already been poised at the tip of my tongue for any and all circumstances and he let me be.

When we finally got off, Sarah had a feeling that this was the same thing they'd done last year when they attempted to go and hadn't found it but that there was a cute town in which we could stroll through. I saw a sign with the name of the site and an arrow and figured we could attempt to follow it. It appeared that we'd arrived at a town with the same name as the site. We stopped at a restaurant/museum once that looked like it might lead to it but figured it didn't and that we were on private property. As we were leaving someone (perhaps the waiter) stopped us to ask if we needed help or wanted something I guess. I said "I'd like" and the name of the place. He looked puzzled and repeated what I said. I explained that I wanted the fountain. Again he looked puzzled and repeated what I said then he gave some directions. Joey had tried to give me some quick lessons this morning on directions and I recognized a few words. He then spoke to someone else and another gentlemen came to help us. From what he said I thought I understood the first half of the directions to go left but didn't know any of the other words. I expressed this to Sarah and she thought she'd heard him say go straight. Then the gentleman started explaining in English that we go left and then see stairs that we take straight up and we'd see the fountain. We thanked him in his own language. At this point Sarah was sure this was the same thing they'd done last year and that we would be led somewhere other than to the fountain. She was half right........

We followed his directions and after getting to the top of the stairs I almost didn't see it standing across from the back entrance of the hospital. Yes, it was a fountain, but apparently not the one we were in search of. The dear little fountain that stood before us looked like it had seen many days and was quite possibly finding it taxing to spit out water. I declared that we had found a fountain at least. I gazed upon this fountain, neither stately nor particularly impressive, with pride and triumph welling up inside of me because it stood as testimony that our quest for a fountain had not been in vain. I then insisted that we get our picture taken in front of the fountain to prove not only that we had indeed seen it, but for future reference, if directed here again, that this was NOT the fountain we were in search of. Sarah expressed that she was starting to feel weak and I expressed that it was actually just about nap time so I was not at all opposed to ending our little adventure and heading back right about now since we'd found our "fountain".

In retrospect, I think I have a satisfactory answer now as to why so many people seemed not to be able to give directions to a popular site-perhaps because it's not where we thought it was and they knew it but we didn't. How nice of them not to embarrass us! I also wonder now if there'll be several people today talking about crazy Americans who came all the way to their town just to see the old fountain behind the hospital. Hmmm............

We headed back to the bus, hopped on the Metro and parted ways. I must say, aimlessly setting out to explore and observe an unfamiliar country with no apprehension about getting lost, definitely makes one feel just a "weeee" bit better. Not at all about inadequacies in the language, but you kinda get the feeling of "Okay,I survived one day. I can do this!"

Since we both arrived a week late we'll be going through training starting tomorrow so I think staying up and being out in the sun all day was great preparation and jump-start for the weeks ahead. I actually made it all day without a nap! I'm already plum-tuckered out after our evening staff meeting/dinner. Hopefully I'll get to bed at a decent hour tonight and be up and ready in time for my first day tomorrow! Perhaps I'll do some language practice before bed. Maybe it's just me but........ is there some connection to language practice and me falling asleep?

1 comment:

Ruhiyyih Rose said...

How fun, Kendria!! I leave on the plane for Uganda tomorrow - I am learning some things about traveling from this post :) HUGS!!